8.16.2010

The Coop Keeper Post: Part 1. Flowers and chickens.

Thanks for your patience in waiting for my trip report to Jayme's.  The bliss of staying in The Squirrel with one of the best gals in the midwest was almost too precious to share, but alas, I can't keep her from you.  So here's the tale:

We laughed.  We ate.  We laughed some more.  We ate some more.  We stared at chickens.  We laughed even more.  We ate even more.  Rinse and repeat.  And yes, there was bacon. Yes there was.

Her garden, ladies, simply cannot be captured via digital photos.  But I will try to give you an idea of what it's like to pull up to this idyllic space in NW Indiana:




Um.  Yeah.  And that's just the front folks.  Wait till I add some chickens to the mix.  This is Buddy and his harem.  I'll get to him later.  He deserves an entire post of his own.  That's just how dandy he is.







Ok, I can't wait.  I have to talk about Buddy.  I must admit I'm smitten.  I mean, he's got a crow that makes all the females swoon, including the occupants of vintage trailers called The Squirrel.  You doubt?  Here, take a listen.....and note that this began at 4am, repeated every hour on the hour until the sun made it's debut.  At which time he chased the hens 'round the yard. I now understand what a cocky strut really looks like.  I had to fan myself.



Here he is in the morning daylight, King of his castle. Be still my heart.



This would be the shrine I created to Buddy....may he live long and prosper.  Swoon.

Ok, enough of the dude.  Onward...

I must say, it was such fun to chat with the girls again.  They asked about my kids, blogging, soaping.....the usual.  Then mentioned how Fifi had gone broody and stopped smoking, which made her somewhat more neurotic, though all were anxious to see some new faces in the coop.  (Unfortunately, Jayme discovered soon after I left that there were no babies on the way.)

Jayme was trying to encourage Fifi, the same way I do with my doula clients...talking her down from the epidural ledge....

Helen was sorely missed.  I kept looking for her, then with a pang of remembrance, I'd move on. But there was good ole Stubs, gossiping with Mrs. Puffington (or is it Mother Plumtree???) who was taking a break from knitting booties for the new chicks...



Stubs paused to pose for me.  (She's still working on projects for the eminent opening of an Etsy shop.)

A newcomer was this banty, who definitely belongs on a catwalk in France. "I'm...too sexy for my flappies."

Then there was this gal....I totally wanted to call her Phyllis, as in Diller, and need to get the name of her hairdresser, cause that 'do is Sas.Say. I do wonder if the beard makes her self-conscious, though.

I might bring this last shot into my salon next time I'm due for a trim.  Look at that perfect stack in the back.  Is she trendy or what?  Wonder what products this chick uses to get the '80s mall bangs?  The *are* coming back, ya know.

So anyway.... here's a collection of eggs that couldn't be eaten due to a round of antibiotics.  Love that wire basket-y thing they're in.  Just plunked down on the ground amidst roaming chickens and tangled flowers.....


And the first 'good egg' being carried inside.  Who needs an apron I ask you?

Yes. I love her too.

Tomorrow, I will continue the report with a trip thru her 'outpost', plastic decor, shoes in the street, Dr. Suess, and of course....The Squirrel.

17 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Are you kidding me?!? Look at that house! And grounds! I'm done showing garden shots. How embarrassing is my one flowering geranium plant thing. Eh.

Sounds like a fabulous visit! Can't wait to hear more more more. :)

Donna

Unknown said...

Hi Cindy. Oh', I'm just eeekkking over Jayme's beautiful home and garden! That is a vacation I could use right now. Just a calming escape. Those are the most handsome chickens I've ever seen. It looks like ya'll have a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs...Tracy :)

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

You are so funny! I am totally LOVING Phyllis!!! Seriously!!! She looks fabulous!! Why look like everyone else? She's got her own style goin on!!! Love it!
That house is GORGEOUS and the gardens and yard are so beautiful too! Enjoyed this post- can't wait to see more!! :)

Sara S. said...

With such a beautiful front, and garden, I'm anxious to see how gorgeous the inside of the house is! Wonderful shots of the chickens!

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

Beautiful pictures...

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

What a beautiful yard and house, and how fun to spend time with Jayme and her "girls". Fun post! Thanks for sharing.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

The house and yard are gorgeous. Some beautiful birds too. Though I'm not sure how I'd feel about hearing Buddy at 4am!

Heather Lee said...

It sounds like an amazing time hangin' with the Jayme and the girls! I can't imagine getting my morning alarm with such a fine cocka-doodle-doo! He's sho' gots some pipes!

I think your theory on 80's bangs and my theory on the perm comin' back are right on the money...I got my Aqua Net and perm pick ready! Just gimme the word!

Bless Ya!!
Heather

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

ha ha ha ha ...oh girl, you do me proud. It's so funny, cause I don't see the good, I see the 'omaga - she posted the silly 1869 numbers where I couldn't find a 6 so I cut an 8'. Seriously, how sad is that - oh, and that the chicken looked dirty from the morning storm. Seriously. I need therapy. Lots of it. I miss you terribly, and I'm comin' to Fort Wayne. Oh. Yes. I. Am. Thanks for making me sound like someone I'd like to know. Love you bunches.

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

I wanted to add that I carried four eggs up in me bra today. Almost forgot they were in there too. I have a basket. I do.

Shannan Martin said...

This is the icing on my night. Stubs is bout to get her Etsy on? I knew it. And you're so right about that perfect stack. (Why did I get stuck with all the cowlicks whilst the hens are Homecoming Queening it up?)

Can't wait to check back tomorrow.

ps- Am I the only one who loves it when Jayme mixes a little Irish into her "usual" dialect? (See comment above.)

Claudia said...

Oh that garden! I can only hope to have something like it at my little cottage! Gorgeous. And I love that old brick farmhouse.

xo
Claudia

MamaHen said...

Jayme is amazing! She really is!

Dogwood said...

Great post on Jayme. I actually watch closely each day for her new posts. She is so interesting and so funny and a great writer. But then so are you all those things. OK, now back to read some of your posts. Dogwood

Callie Brady said...

Great photos! The pictures remind me of a visit to a lovely English garden. Glad I found your blog. I'll be back to read through your older posts.

AshleyOney said...

What a stunning place! I love the enviting feeling you get and of course the chickens are so cute! Thank you for your recient BlogFrog widget install! If you ever have any questions or comments feel free to contact us!!!

Ashley (BlogFrog Marketing)

Brenda Pruitt said...

My stars, I laughed all the way through this one! I've got to meet that Jayme. You and her both. What a team of gals. Those chickens should be on the cat walk. But then that in itself could be worrisome I s'pose. I grew up with a rooster nipping at my heels as I hurried out the gate with the warm eggs from the hen house. He was fearsome.
Brenda

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails