8.05.2010

The (sorta) Reveal of the Cottage Back Porch.

PSSSST...I'm no longer blogging here!
You can now find me at

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was gonna wait till I had every little thing done on the back porch, but there's so many good parties goin' on that I figured I'd show you the psuedo-finished product.  If you want to see 'befores', click HERE.

Anyway, here's where I'm partying:
freckled laundry
Visit thecsiproject.com
 Blue Cricket Designs Show and Tell
Maggie at The White Farmhouse Inspire Me
Domestically Speaking Power or Paint Party
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors Gitter Done!
Creative Itch Sew Cute Tuesday
My Backyard Eden Make it Yours Day
Fireflies and Jellybeans
Mustard Seed Creations Furniture Feature Friday
Fingerprints on the Fridge Feature Yourself Friday
A Few of My Favorite Things Favorite Things Friday
Show and Tell Fridays at My Romantic Home
In the Fun Lane Fresh Coat Fridays
The Inspired Room Inspired By 
Tatertots and Jello Weekend Wrapup 
Under the Table and Dreaming Sunday Showcase 
Imperfectly Perfect Style Feature Saturday
So ya ready?  Of course there's more pictures than strictly needed to get my point across, but hey, what can I say?  I'm pretty impressed with myself, even though it ain't done.

So, remember this gem I picked up for like $20 bucks last fall?
That I made over into this, using paint, drop cloths for the cushions and skirt, and some favorite fabric from my stash for the new pillows?

Well, now she's gotten her second makeover so she'll fit on my porch....repainted with new pillow slips:



Then there was this chair, which was pinched from craigslist last summer with a nasty paint job and no cushions....I had painted her glossy chocolate, then glossy olive green, finally settling on a satin army green, the same color as the extrerior of my house.  Then bought some clearanced outdoor cushions and sewed up a cover for them and added a fun pillow slipped in coordinating fabric:


 See how SAH-WEET this side of the porch looks now?  That side table was a 25 cent garage sale steal that I sprayed with Heirloom White and added the vintage pillowcase for another touch of cottagey-goodness:

Next is a vintage wrought iron table set I got also picked up on craigslist....she got a new coat of Heirloom White and I used the coordinating stripe fabric to make covers for the chairs (flowers courtesty of hubs...everyone say awwwwwww):


Loves her curliques!

Here's the pleating idea I got from Kelly....

Simple ties on the back allow them to be lifted up so my boys wet bums from the pool can sit on the vinyl seats underneath:

And I must show off the 15 cent embroidered runner and milkglass pieces I picked up last week at the Salvation Army thrift store.  Mmmm Mmmmm good:

Lastly is this reproduction dry sink I got from my mama.  It has been a myriad of colors before this warm white.  I added the skirt to hide pool chemicals, bug spray, grass-stained mowing shows and the like:
I like the slight pooling of the drop cloth edging, but for practicality I will prolly need to shorten it eventurally.  If you look close, you can see the 'frame' around the switch plate...that's the dark green/gray wall color pre-four coats of exterior semi-gloss....and obviously the new plate is smaller than the nasty yellowed one that was there previously.  Like I said, a few finishing touches are still needed!

The 'peace sign' is the one I made for this room  (Which is soon getting another makeover this fall):

I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming together.  I've picked out a deep turquoise for the cement floor, which will happen as soon as the weather turns.  I also have some pretties to fix up and hang, including the coolest lantern fixture to replace the weeny fixture now trying hard to pull it's weight on the ceiling.  I'm also sorely tempted to paint the jute rug in a harlequin pattern.  But other projects are in the throes already...I swear I'm as bad as the dog in 'Up'...SQUIRREL!  My attention is so easily swayed to the next thing.....


Thanks for taking the tour.....Looking at the pictures helps me see what other things need done, so this has been a great exercise for me.  So what say you?  Have I reached cottage porch nirvana?

PS...I am preparing my trip report for those awaiting news of The Coop Keeper and her most excellent digs.

68 comments:

Pine Tree Home said...

such beautiful progress. my favorite is the bistro set. love the pleated cushions.

Blessed Serendipity said...

Charming porch! I love the makeover you gave your bench.
-Danielle

Patricia said...

I loved your porch post. Looks really nice and inviting.

fleurcottage said...

nicely done...love the fabric!

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

You know everyone who sees the little setee is going to be on the look out for one now! That turned out adorable. You have a way with creating the cutest pillows.
Thank you for the mention of the pleats. Not so hard, was it? The stripes are perfect.
Kelly

Anonymous said...

WOW! Everything just looks amazing, you did such a great job. Love the colors you chose for the painted pieces. Can I come by for tea on your new porch! Marcia

Katie Olthoff said...

Beautiful! I love pleats, and yours are gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Porch beautiful! Love the colours, fabrics, furniture and freshness! I would love to have a great covered outdoor space like that to decorate and relax in! Thanks for sharing.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Triple WOW, Cindy! You've been holding out on us! I'd have been so tickled to show every single step while it's been happening! Maybe that's the secret after all... stay OFF the net and well... Gitter Done!

Beautiful porch! I could only wish.

Donna

Lisa said...

Porch looks wonderful and inviting!
Lisa
www.trinity-house.com

Marilyn Holeman said...

Oh Cindy--this is FABULOUS! And I really love the green fabric with the roses. Do you know what it's called and/or who makes it? Just beautiful!

Jester said...

My are you talented!!! I can't so much as sew a button on a shirt so I am in such awe right now. Everything is beautiful and I especially like the remake of the first bench!!!

FairfieldHouse said...

Yes you've achieved Porch Nirvana. I especially like the remake of the settee and chair. Simply beautiful. Now where's that martini shaker?

Your Friend,
Deborah

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your porch is looking like it should be in a magazine! So pretty.
The settee turned out wonderful. You did a great reupholster job using those canvas painters cloths.

Everything you did looks amazingly beautiful.

hugs
Sissie

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Love what you've done with the furniture. Those colors are so soothing. It's becoming quite a charming porch.

NanaDiana said...

Oh..Cindy....SOOOO beyoootiful what you have done! I love that you have transformed that porch-you came a long way, baby! You did a terrific job of co-ordinating all your colors and fabrics. I love the blue and green combo that you have developed. It is serene, restful and, best of all, pretty! And I like pretty. Good job, my friend! Diana

Sheila said...

Fantastic!

I'm curious about the blinds. I need some for my gazebo. Our neighbour cut down a tree and now I can see their ugly lawn. I need some blinds!! :)

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

You had me at the green sofa. Then it just got better! Love what you've done on your porch.

COTTAG3 said...

I love it all! The fabrics are beautiful. I'm gonna have to find me a dry sink. That little number is my favorite thing!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Cindy, I don't know what I love best about this space. The colors and fabrics are just gorgeous! What a lovely place!

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Cindy... I love your porch. The furniture looks really great with new outfits!
great job
gail

Unknown said...

Ooh! Your porch reveal IS sah-weet. Love it. Found you through Furniture Feature Friday.

Jami

Crafty Sisters said...

Excellent sewing, I love the pleats and fabric choice!

Kate said...

cindy
it looks so AMAZING!!!! What a fantastic job and the sewing WOW. Love it all

much love
Kate

Gloria said...

Greetings! Just discovered your blog and became a Follower and an email subscriber. Just love what you did to the furniture for your porch! The colors you painted the furniture are lovely (my new favorite color is the robin's egg blue) and your fabrics are beautiful! I will be back to visit!
Best regards,
Gloria

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Beautiful serene setting. Great transformation on the settee. It does not look like the same piece!!! I love the fabrics you chose. A nice English cottage feel. ~~Sherry~~

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Stopping by from Furniture Feature Friday! How great the furniture looks painted and I love the fabrics you chose!

Carolyn said...

I think you did a great job on everything! I love the colors you picked and the cushions you made.I would have to say it has all come together nicely.

Carolyn

Lady Pamela said...

VERY well done. I am heading over to see the tutorial next. Not that I would attempt anything so complicated, but I like to dream.

Claudia said...

Hi there!

Just had to stop and say hi!

Your blog is so beautiful... I really think your porch is stunning.

The couch transformation is perfect -- perfect colors and looks just right for its placement.

Stop by and say hi if you get a moment.

Claudia

PS -- you would be such a great addition with us on Fridays as we celebrate the beauty in our lives.

Tania Pelletier said...

Hi Cindy, I'm your newest follower, I love your blog and this porch redo is beautiful! But my very favorite thing is the settee... it's beautiful! I found a single-seater version this morning at a local thrift store... I was so excited! I hope you don't mind, I placed a few of your pictures and a link to your blog on mine to show my inspiration for what my chair will look like!! Stop by if you'd like!

Tania

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Goodness!!
Now this is one heck of a redo!! LOVE that sweet settee and I love the first redo of it and now the second is to die for!!

All of the other pieces of furniture on your porch are fantastic and your choice of fabric is just spectacularly gorgeous!!

What a grand cottage porch it is and I can't wait to see what else you will be doing out there!!


Debbie

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Wow! Beautiful makeovers! I really love the aqua blue bench especially with those gorgeous pillows!
Michelle

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

Man. I'm jealous. Now I want to redo the porch. Glen is really gone get mad at you. Seriously,GREAT job Cin. Great job. I need to get off my duff. When ya comin back?

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Looks like a wonderful spot to relax! And I love all the pretty fabrics too - nice job!

Susan said...

Awesome porch!! Nice redo on the rocker sofa thingy!

Jess said...

Looks great! I really love the previously orange loveseat. That was a shock as I scrolled down the post. It look fabulous, I love it the way you have it now with the blue paint! So cute.

Dianna said...

Wow! Envy you for being able to sew and upholster. Love your furniture pieces.

Deb said...

Hey Cindy, your porch looks amazing! Love the mix of colors and fabrics, especially the striped fabric. Cute slipcovers too! Great job!!!! Deb

tracy mooney said...

Hey Cindy, love your porch you did a great job on everything. I love the floral green fabric could I ask where you got it, I would love to find fabric like it.

Denise Marie said...

what a fabulous spot. Everything you've done is marvelous. I wonder how you painted the iron furniture. Do you use a paint box to not overspray or just take it out in the backyard corner. I got 3 chairs for $10 last weekend that need paint.

Anonymous said...

Love your porch. You have great taste. The fabrics and paint colors are to die for.
Melanie

GRAMS said...

You are so clever. I just love it all especially you choice of paint colors. What paint did you use for your turquoise and green? They are just perfect. Thanks for sharing. Janis

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Your porch is adorable! You did such a great job covering the cushions and pillows. I just love the shade you painted the loveseat.

The Pennington Point said...

Seriously...I would have seen that bench at a garage sale and thought it was too outdated and orange. Now I want one. LOL! I love the porch. It is so charming! Lisa~

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

So Pretty! Love the settee - amazing transformation and I just adore the color. So glad to see you back - Hope you had a wonderful summer. Thanks so much for linking up to the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a fantastic week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

decorating diva {aka deanna} said...

very cottagey and i love the clors and fabrics you used. i want one of those double rocker chair thingy's! you made it soooo cute and the chair too! great job!

Unknown said...

Love the little table and chairs, they are so sweet with the cushions on them, well done!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

The blue chair transformation is stunning! Great job!

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Oh my gosh!! I just love what you've done so far!!! So cute :)))

Jenni said...

OH.MY. I think your porch should be in a magazine. Seriously. I love EVERYTHING! The sweet furniture you made over and all of the little touches you added! Love those pleats! :)

Kristal said...

WOW, what a wonderful place to sit and daydream...All Day Long!! I love everything, the paint colors, the fabric, the creativity!

One question: On the glider/rocker for Craigs, you used Army Green? This looks close to the green I want in my bedroom. Was wondering what brand it was?

Thanks for sharing, off to look at your other transformations!

~♥~
Kristal

Pamela said...

Your porch is just lovely! I love the bench in blue and the fabrics are divine!

Heaven's Walk said...

Hi Cindy! That room is total inspiration for us all! And I must admit...I envy your sewing skills. The way you matched your paint color to those awesome sage green florals is just beautiful! Quite a transformation, that's for sure!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

What a great find for $20 bucks! I love the color you painted it. I'm so jealous of your covered porch.

Shaunna said...

WOW! What a relaxing place to escape! I LOVE the turquoise bench and the slipcovers are all to die for. Thanks SO much for linking up to Style Feature Saturday and for your sweet comments! So nice to meet you, -shaunna :)

Anonymous said...

Your porch furniture is adorable. I love the idea of a porch - with maybe a daybed for napping. I live in the Palm Springs area, so our outdoor areas are gorgeous most of the year, but NOT August! It's blistering hot out right now. So, looking at your porch makes me think, "I want one of these - a place to cuddle and feel like your outside - with air conditioning!" Your blog is great - and I loved the post on how to build your blog. I really blog for myself - and truthfully, knowing that I'm not a crazy lady who loves to yardsale and redo junk is what keeps me going. You really are a great writer, and I can see why folks keep coming back to visit you. Are you a teacher? I am, and found that last year, I just did not make the priority to blog. But, I miss the fellowship... kwim? I'm rambling - but, just want you to know - your blog is fabulous.

Hugs,
Patti

Tania Pelletier said...

I finished my chair!! Finally! Stop by and see it!

Tania

Nancy said...

Everything is coming together so nicely. The dry sink is to die for...so SWEET! What a nice place to sit and relax. Now..you just have to find the time to do that!
xoxo

Nancy

Anonymous said...

After I saw you on Pink & Polka Dots I had to come see more. I love your porch. All the projects look wonderful! I'll be nosing around for a while. Lots to see!

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have a real talent. I love all of it. The color and fabric are to die for. Beautiful!

Erin said...

Wow, I loved the first makeover, but the second one is even more fabulous! I love the pillows(and the buttons!) and the cushions. You have a great eye and great taste. Came over from Jami's party!

Pamela said...

Beautiful job!! Your porch is just lovely!!!

{oc cottage} said...

I am on "AMAZING" overload! And you are a rock star!


m ^..^

Unknown said...

I am so excited to see your little slice of cottage textile heaven at my link party. Thank you, Cindy!!! And, thanks for putting my lil' button up there. Hope to see you tonight. ;)

Unknown said...

Back again...you are a freckled favorite this week, Cindy. Thank you for linking up your porch!

SHERRY HART said...

Well....I am SO impressed with you darling porch! I just want to sit there have a cup of tea and chat!

Melancholy Specter said...

I love it all! And you have what looks like a twin to my milkglass ashtray. Mom had two, I can't remember how long she had them or what happened to the other one. I have several milk glass items that belonged to her. Love how you have the other milkglass piece sitting in the ashtray, wish I could find a piece like that one. Sigh, wish the Salvation Army that used to be in my town hadn't moved. Hm, wonder if our local thrift store has any milkglass...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails