9.01.2011

The Garden Party and a plethora of pics.

So I'm only a few days late posting pictures from the super awesome dinner party to celebrate my bff Clara and her hubs Herb's 40th anniversary.  
(I posted about the burlap wine sleeve previously, with links to all things Clara HERE
So without further ado, may I present the goods...er, the cutie-patooties themselves and the divine digs and decadent deliciousness of last Saturday...


Here's them in 1971-ish
Yes, they are extremely cute.


The table....which was decorated superbly by Clara's sister Deb.





Deb sewed up all the runners herself.  





 My cute hubs...now how did that slip in here?


 Chatting it up with Clara next to her out-of-control-amazing garden....


Speaking of which, here's some more shots of garden candy for those who don't kill stuff off within 3 days.  
Not that I'd be in that group, you understand *ahem*


I maybe ate one or twelve of these bitty 'maters.  Clara, you didn't just read that.


Looking back toward the house...



Where was I?  Oh yeah, the food.....which was prepared by her two daughters-in-law, Holly and Jennifer.  
bread and buttah...


UNBELIEVEABLE spinach and berry salad with poppy and sesame seeds.  OMGah.


Fettucini Alfredo with snow peas. Again, seriously yum.


 Clara's nieces (Deb's daughters) who served us at table, mostly keeping the wine flowing.
Yes, they're of age.


Herb listens, teary-eyed to another "how you guys' 40 year marriage has impacted me" speeches after we chowed. 
(I may or may not have continued to chow....)  
The dinner party consisted of her family, and 4 other couples considered dear friends.
....obviously I strutted around like a peacock knowing that. 
Except I wore yellow.


Here's what I wore, by the way. 
In all it's over-exposed glory.  Please notice and comment on my cute hair flower. 
 Thanks.



So after the big outdoor meal, Clara (in pure Clara style) recruited us to quickly switch everything up for the big Open House to follow.  
One of her DIL's got busy with the next table of goodies....


More goodies.  Cream puffs and mini cheese cakes. 
Again, I may have eaten one or 12 of these.  
Ok, maybe just 10.


 Here's the spread all set up in her house.....


Fruit kabobs.


Stuff I can't pronounce.  


This was hanging behind the food spread, and what a great idea! Click it to make it bigger...



Outside, the guys set up the bar area.  Seriously, how cute is this?


Of course I stayed saved and only drank the no-alcohol.  
Ok, that's a lie.



I love how she decorates every corner of her house.  Look how she painted just the panels on that antique cabinet?!  GOR-Jus.


Here's some more shots of the grounds around the house (the earlier dinner party was held further behind the house in "their field".)  Fairy lights.....


This is her side yard.


Waiting for other guests to start arriving....

Looking toward the back of the house from the garden....

(that may or may not be my hubs again....)


The tables in the yard were for chatting and gambling for those not interested in staying saved. 
 If you were REALLY not interested in staying saved, they set up a Black Jack table and a Roulette Wheel.



No Christians were harmed in the playing of these games.  
(Oh, and no real money was used.  The one with the most chips by the end of the night got themselves a dandy bottle of wine...to be drunk only if you didn't want to stay saved.)

Clara mingles with aliens......and tries to make her arms do the same magic as her alien guest's mouth.  
I'd say she was successful.

DIL Jennifer is the House Dealer for Black Jack, her daughter Hannah looks on.


Her hubs Jonathan mans the Roulette Wheel.  That's Clara's sis Deb in the foreground, responsible for the lovely table set up in the beginning.  
And Tom, who is, well....you just gotta know Tom.


A marvelous time was had by all. Picture-perfect weather, great crowd, fabulous food, awesome hosts.


 Most of us stayed saved.  
Not sure about Tom.  


Here's to another 40 years of blessed wedded bliss, 
with many more evenings spent with really decent folks and excellent wine.  
Herb and Clara, you two are totally inspiring, fiercely humble, terrifically fun, and much loved. 
Thanks for letting us celebrate with you.





9 comments:

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

Beautiful photos! I enjoyed looking at all of them. The food looked delicious. The garden was so pretty. It looks like everyone had a wonderful day.

NanaDiana said...

Cindy- I felt like I was one of the "special guests" right there with you! They are a darling couple and I LOVE their gardens. What a treat for the eyes...garden wise, people wise, food wise..game wise. The best part is I stayed saved cuz I didn't imbibe!;>) xo Diana

Brenda Pruitt said...

Lip smacking food, girl! My, that woman has a green thumb. Things are pretty dead looking here in Texas. But I'll be moving to Tulsa next month in the new chapter of my life. And I can't wait to make gardens!!!
Brenda

Sheri said...

Wow. Awesome party. The decor and food is outstanding! Great job.

Anonymous said...

This is also my husbands and I our
40th Wedding Anniversary!! This year!! 1971 What a blessed year!!


Pamela
WV

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

What a beautiful event!

Cottage and Broome said...

Your garden party looked lovely, Laura Cottage and Broome

Mikey Fuller said...

So glad to see you up and running again in blogland! You've been missed! I love those mini-banners, as well as that hutch you crafted. It reminds me of the set to the Martha Stewart show when it was filmed in her farm. This party looked so fun. The last time I checked even the strictest of Baptist say you can't loose your salvation--so enjoy that sangria, after all Jesus turned water into wine!!!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

Bohemian said...

What a great Event and I felt as though I was a Guest at the Celebration with your wonderful photos and dialogue of it... what fun and such creative touches to make it memorable... I Love a good Party!!!

Dawn... The Bohemian

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails