1.08.2013

::Winterfying the Mantel::

Well, Friends, the Christmas decor was dismantled on Christmas Day.


It took another 2 weeks to get the room dressed for Winter.


I like lots of browns and neutrals with some hits of white to brighten the dark days ahead.


Just used stuff I already had.


And lots of pinecones.
Of course.
Much of the pinecone stuff is left from my daughter's Vintage Chic Barn wedding last December.


This is my attempt at a brown artificial flower arrangement.
That right there is as good as it gets for this gal.


I sat on the floor for this shot.  Duh.


Here's a sneak peek at some of my other Winterfying....


I'll get that post up soon.  
Didn't want to overwhelm ya with too many pictures.
And I want to get back in the habit of at least 2 posts a week.


This is my favoritist room in my whole ding dang house.  
For Reals.


The view from my perch on the couch.


Obligatory artsy shot.
Even makes the dead plant and black cord look not-so-goofy.


Like everyone else in bloggy-land, I am contemplating lots of changes for my blog.
But the biggest change in my life will be placing our cottage on the market by month's end....
Where we go next is, well, we don't know yet!  Build new?  Buy existing?  Rent for a while til we decide?
We are staying in the same city.
Letting go of the dream of moving south to warmer climes has finally died as reality sent a one-two punch...but it's all good.
(psssst....you can get hints of my future dream dwelling if you follow me on pinterest.)

I'm excited about what the new year holds for me and my family.
Last year was an exercise in adapting to the stress put on us by others.
(read here and here for the inside scoop)
It was full of beautiful moments and times of extreme pain and even despair.
I've never spoken much about my struggles with chronic severe depression, 
but last year tested my fortitude further than ever, and I've come out of it feeling bewildered.....
but ready to take charge of my life again.
This year I hope to adapt to stress of my own making.
Because if you're gonna deal with stress, better it be from taking charge of your own destiny while you have the chance.  
I've decided life is very short, and going after my dreams is my first priority.

My resolutions for the new year are legion, and can't be articulated yet.
But my word is HOPE.


Thanks for stopping by. 
Here's to a new beginning with much joy in the journey.
And a mantel that makes you happy every time you look at it.


6 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I am glad to see you here, Cindy. I thought you might suffer from depression from a couple of things you hinted at in the past...and I know last year was a hard one for you. God bless you-we are going to do the same thing you are doing this year, too....selling and not quite sure where/what we will do yet. I know that God has a plan for us-just not sure what it is yet- xo Diana

COTTAG3 said...

Great job at "winterfying" I like it!

Congratulations on the decision to move to a new house. I know the cottage holds a lot of memories but a new house is a fresh start after the emotional year you just had. I've been through it too and the holidays are a challenge. You sound like you are doing remarkably well, you sound positive and you can see daylight ahead even if it will be stressful with a move.
Sorry to hear you won't be moving to the south. We'd love to have you here in Texas!
Best wishes.

Okio B Designs said...

Love your winter touches. The browns with the neutrals looks so pretty!

Jeanine

Emily said...

I love all the soft colors in this room. I have 5 children so all things some shade of white will have to wait.

Emily said...

I love all the soft colors in this room. I have 5 children so all things some shade of white will have to wait.

Creative Chaos said...

I am so happy to see you are blogging again.. I have missed you. Depression runs in my family and I battle with it daily, my days seem to run from one stressor to another. Even with meds it can be a struggle. It must be difficult to leave the cottage that you have worked so hard to make your home, but new beginnings and a new palette to work with will be exciting to see. I love all the homes you have posted on Pinterest. Wish I was looking for a new home. Best to you this year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails