4.17.2014

::Fireplace Before and After::




PSSSST...I'm no longer blogging here!
You can now find me at

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, y'all know I have a thing about fireplaces and mantels, yeah?
Here's the before....


I'd been itching to work on the new house's fireplace/mantel since moving in.  
I had some wishy-washy ideas that began to solidify when a dear friend gave me this piece of scrap pallet wood...


At which point I started obsessing about paint colors.
When we were deciding on finishes, it was cost-prohibitive to carry the stone all the way up to the peak....so I always intended to do some sort of 'treatment' to blend the drywalled part with the stone.


I started by finding a swatch of colors from Sherwin Williams that blended well with the colors on my stone...which happen to have both pink and yellow undertones....which I happened to learn thru this process don't really play nicely with eachother.  It took me no less than 10 samples to get the right shade....
This shows one of the first oopsies at the top.
I won't show you the 8 other shades of 'bandaid' I tried.....


The one that made the room sing ended up being Interactive Cream.
BAM.


I painted the pallet piece with left over wall paint (Glidden's Antique White), and heavily distressed it with my palm sander.  Hubs used  4 ginormous screws to attach it to the wall.



Sewed up some wispy panels with poor-man's linen....osnaburg muslin.
20 yards at $3/yd using my 50% off coupon at JoAnns.  


They're not hemmed yet, and I think I'm gonna do some bishop sleeves.
Instead of fiddling with a DIY corner rod, I just used those good old fashioned metal rods that cost like $3 each.  No finials or anything.  Lowe's had 'em in oil rubbed bronze.
Score. 


See how nicely they meet in the corner?
Total cost for dressing my three super large windows...$75.
They really helped pull the room together, bringing the fireplace to the center.


I had originally thought I'd plank the drywall above the stone, but when serendipity strikes, you grab it!
The cast-off pallet wood works perfectly.


Love the rustic texture....as I was sanding, it brought out the yellow undertones in the white paint....hard to see, but trust me, it looks awesome.


My great room is finally coming together....it's not a large room, but with the massive windows and vaulted ceiling, everything felt a bit lost.  Adding some color and texture has helped it feel warm and welcoming.  


I'll share some other things I did in the room next post.  Of course it's not done yet (as if it ever gets 'done').  I hope to add planking and beams to the ceiling eventually, and I'm considering painting the white walls a neutral called 'Biscuit', which happens to be the lightest shade on that strip from Sherwin Williams. I'm hording lighting ideas, including some sconces or lanterns for either side of the rustic wood board.  The small rattan uplights from Target up there currently look awesome turned on at night, but look dinky during the day. And I have some more sewing to do to tie in the green chairs to the scheme.

Happy for now :)  


 I'm almost done with the master re-do as well.  I'll be showing off the new paint color, sewing projects, headboard building, and decor soon!

So what do ya think?  Improvement?
Think I'm nutso for putting a huge piece of scrap wood on my mantel?



27 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yup! Really nice, Cindy. I still have a couple of (inexpensive) tins that "belong" in your living room :)

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Wow, that looks amazing! Love it :)

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

PS...pinning it to the Junkers United board. Thanks for linking to the party :)

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Cindy is baaaaaaaack!!!!!!!!!

Of course it would wonderful planked all the way up, but would it looks better than FREE?? Not a chance. Bravo!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I loooooove the fencing! I think it looks amazing!

Cassie Bustamante said...

love it!!!! it's so beachy and so you now!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

I kinda liked it with your sign on the fireplace ;)

HeatherF1 said...

Love it! Looks great!

Unknown said...

Really beautiful and well done. I have a massive stone fireplace that sold us on buying our home. What I didn't expect was how hard it is to decorate. Thanks for sharing this great transformation.

http://paperandfox.com/

JoAnne said...

It was meant to be, Cindy. It fills in the space perfectly and adds a nice rustic touch ~ great backdrop for all kinds of decorating!

Claudia said...

Fabulous! I love seeing what you're up to in your new house!

xo
Claudia

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Cindy,
Thank you for sharing at my party. No, you are not crazy to put that piece of old wood on your mantel...it looks great!!! I also like your thrifty drapes...they look perfect in your new room.

Blessings,
Linda

Mindie Hilton said...

Your fireplace looks beautiful. If you have not shared yet at the Anything Goes linky, you are welcome to. Have a great week.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous. I love it. The pallet is fabulous. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I loved your idea of planking the wall above the fireplace, but that piece is so beautiful, it's a better solution!

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Love your new pallet backdrop for your mantel.. I did something very similar but used old cast off shelves from my son's work.. Isn't it fun to recycle and make something beautiful and useful... Cathy

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Cindy,
Coming by to let you know that you will be featured at my party on Monday.

Blessings,
Linda

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

It looks awesome Cindy! In fact I think brick up to the ceiling would have been overpowering. I love the rustic beauty of the palette. Those curtains are great too. I used dropcloth for curtains, and added ruffles alternating onasburg and dropcloth. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!
Blessings, Deborah

Stacey said...

That looks amazing! The pallet and the new accent color really pulls your eyes up to that pretty peak. Your curtains and rods are perfect too. I'd say that all worked out just right!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow Cindy, that pallet piece is just so perfect! What a wonderful backdrop for decorating throughout the year! I love the way you are pulling this room together!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Cindy,
This is my first time to visit,
but think your fireplace looks awesome, very uniquely yours and
what a great look. Love the sign
you have there too......Be the change you want to see....great idea! lol
Love your colors too, just a lovely soothing room.
blessings, Nellie

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

This is awesome! I love the pallet wood, it is perfect for over your fireplace and the curtains and rods look great too! Nicely done!

Jaybird said...

Hi Cindy,
Your curtains and FP are great!!
Can you tell me more about the muslin?? I can't find "Osnaburg Muslin" on the Joann's site.
Many thanks!!
Blessings,
J

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

Great job with the room! Love the touches of aqua tones. It looks so soothing and relaxing! I have missed coming here and seeing what you are up to! Looking forward to getting into the swing of things again!

White Lace and Promises said...

It is very warm and welcoming but very cool too! I love the beach theme. I want to do this. You are giving me some ideas.

Unknown said...

It is amazing the difference those simple changes made. It turned out really nice. I need to find the courage to try something like this out on my fireplace.

Alena | http://www.bcfireplaceservice.com

Monica said...

I love your house. You are so creative and inspired.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails